8 Common foods that can turn into poison and become harmful

Certain wild mushrooms are highly toxic and can even be deadly. Mistaking poisonous mushrooms for edible varieties is a common and sometimes fatal error. Always be 100% sure of the identification before consuming wild mushrooms. 

Combining iron-rich foods like spinach or lentils with foods high in vitamin C like bell peppers, oranges, or strawberries can enhance iron absorption. This is particularly beneficial for vegetarians and vegans who rely on plant-based sources of iron. 

Raw eggs and undercooked meats can harbor salmonella and other bacteria. Proper cooking is necessary to avoid foodborne illness. 

Consuming raw or undercooked shellfish can expose you to harmful viruses and bacteria, including Vibrio, which can lead to food poisoning. It’s essential to consume shellfish that has been thoroughly cooked. 

The seeds, leaves, and stems of the elderberry plant contain glycosides which produce cyanide. Raw berries may also contain these compounds and should not be consumed without proper cooking. Cooked elderberries are commonly used in syrups and jams. 

While rhubarb stalks are safe to eat, the leaves contain oxalic acid and anthraquinone glycosides, which are toxic and can cause kidney stones, convulsions, and coma if ingested in large amounts. 

Similar to bitter almonds, apricot kernels contain amygdalin, which can release cyanide when digested. Consumption should be limited and caution should be exercised. 

Raw cassava, especially bitter cassava, contains cyanogenic glycosides, which produce cyanide when eaten raw or improperly processed. It must be properly cooked or processed (e.g., soaking and drying) to reduce these compounds to safe levels. 

stay updated